As part of the Communityworks initiative, the Oak Park-River Forest Community Foundation commissioned PlanItGreen, tasked with the creation and implementation of an environmental sustainability plan for Oak Park and River Forest, and funded Seven Generations Ahead to facilitate the project.
The Oak Park River Forest Community Sustainability Report Card (PDF), released in 2018, provides a snapshot in time of progress against sustainability goals. Baseline metrics – dating back to 2007 – were created and used as a basis of comparison. Reports include activity highlights, challenges and strategy snapshots. Over time, the sustainability report cards illuminate trends, highlight successes and shortcomings, and ultimately help support decisions on future policies, strategies, and resource allocation needed to achieve the 10-year plan’s goals by 2020.
Communityworks resources toward environmental sustainability have also supported:
- Green Community Connections for the Energy, waste and water campaign for Oak Park and River Forest as well as for the Resilient Community & Youth Sustainability Leadership Program
- Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest for the “New Home for History” capital campaign
- Oak Park Development Corporation for its Green Business Project and for OPDC’s “Cooperative Marketing Campaign” to promote businesses that participated in the Communityworks funded “Growing Green: Green Business Program”
- Oak Park District 97 Irving’s “School Yard” project
- River Forest Parks Foundation for the Natural Lawn Care Residential Campaign
- Triton College BizzItGreen - Business Green Certification program
- Village of Oak Park providing rebates and incentives for the Residential Energy and Efficiency Program and Residential Water Efficiency Program, offering rebates to single family or condominium homeowners for low flow and distribute additional shower head/aerator kits.
- West Cook Wild Ones for the establishment of a wildlife corridor of native gardens, plants and insects connecting Columbus Park to Thatcher Woods